Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Our Little Lincoln Boy

Lincoln is almost 4 months old now and has the sweetest little spirit, hardly ever cries or fusses and tolerates his older siblings very well;) It has been such a joy to hear his little giggles these last few weeks and to watch him grow, as they change so quickly the first few months. I have loved having three kids, they are all at different levels and it is so rewarding to have them play, interact and love one another so much. Christian is the best big brother anyone could ask for, her protects Mercedes everywhere we go. He loves to help me and to boss the younger ones around, but Mercedes adores him and does pretty much whatever he says and does(unless they are fighting over a batman toy that is) Christian is doing great a school and is eager to move to the new house and have Christmas! Mercedes is a smart cookie but quite the drama queen. She has been a ROCK STAR with potty training, she was accident free after only a few days and dry through the night after less then a week. I am crossing my fingers she doesn't regress after the move. Lincoln has been a piece of cake up until a few weeks ago, he starting vomiting every time I fed him, not just spit up, he was throwing up probably half of what I was feeding him. After a few days I took him to the doctor, he thought it could be a number of things; a little stomach bug, maybe acid reflux, or something more serious called pyloric trichinosis. What happens is the muscle between the stomach and the small intestine works and works and works until it close up, so the food can not pass through and is forced out by vomiting, usually found between 3-6 weeks old. He listened to his stomach and said it was churning and that he wanted to do an ultrasound. Okay, so I was a little nervous at this point but didn't want to jump to any conclusions yet. They set up an ultrasound for first thing in the morning at Utah Valley. So, I headed back to my parents to pick up the kids. After getting there I called the doctors office to change the ultrasound to Primary Children's so that Joe would be able to come. The nurse called Primary Children's and then called me back and said to go straight to Primary Children's Hospital and be there by 6 p.m. It was a little after 5 p.m. and I told her I don't know if I can make it up there before they close. She said I talked to the radiologist and he said to come immediately this is an urgent matter!! I quickly left leaving the older kids with my folks and headed for the hospital. I was a frantic mess; trembling, crying, and praying to God that he would be okay and not need surgery. Joe was on the golf course with his company when I called and met me on the way up. The ultrasound took a while and the whole time I just sat there holding him on the table praying he would be okay.
Lincoln's stomach was full of air and they had told me not to feed him so he was starving too but luckily they checked everything out and he was perfect. Those few hours of fear and panic where exhausting, but we were so grateful Lincoln was alright. I think one of the hardest things about being a parents is the fear of something happening to one of your children, you feel so helpless and vulnerable. It was a very humbling experience, and I get teary eyed just thinking about it. I feel it such an honor to mother and raise these elect spirits. I guess that's part of the reason I want so many kids, the baby phase goes by so quickly and it is at those moments that I feel closest to God, having Him trust me with these special spirits is such an amazing responsibility. Don't get me wrong we have our days and I have my moments of craziness and one of the 3 usually needs or wants somethings, but at the end of the day I am so grateful to be their Mother.

2 comments:

erika said...

Hi Melanie!
I really enjoy reading your blog you are such an inspiration. Keep up the hard work. You have such beautiful babies! I am so proud and happy for you! Can't wait to see you and play with them!
Love,
Erika

About Us said...

I know exactly how you feel! You are awesome!